Makes 6 turnovers
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Ease of preparation: Easy
1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon margarine, chilled
3 Tablespoon canola oil
1-2 Tablespoon ice water or cold apple juice
(or use 1 1/2 (9-inch) commercial frozen whole-wheat pie crusts)
1/4 cup peeled and diced carrot, about 1/4 inch
1/4 cup peeled and diced potato, about 1/4 inch
1/4 cup peeled and diced parsnip, about 1/4 inch
1/4 cup peeled and diced butternut squash, optional, about 1/4 inch
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 teaspoon canola oil
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup fresh or frozen peas
1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup egg substitute
1. In medium bowl, mix flours, sugar and salt, then use fork or pastry blender to mix in remaining ingredients. Gather dough into a ball and let it rest for a few minutes.
2. This dough is softer and more delicate than traditional doughs, so handle lightly and do not overwork it.
3. Divide dough into 6 pieces. On lightly floured sheet of waxed paper, roll out and shape each into a circle approximately 5 inches in diameter. If using commercial pie dough, cut into 6 (5-inch) circles.
4. In medium saucepan heat oil over medium heat and cook onion for 2 minutes, or until soft. Add carrots, potatoes, parsnip, squash (if using) and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 8-10 minutes until vegetables are soft and the liquid has evaporated.
5. Stir in peas and parsley. Let cool.
6. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
7. Place 2 tablespoons filling onto a piece of dough. Dip your finger in water. Wet half the edge of dough circle. Fold to form turnover and seal edge with fork. Repeat.
8. Spray baking dish or tray and arrange turnovers. Brush the tops with the beaten egg.
9. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Heat your favorite Marinara sauce for dipping and place in small bowls. Serve.
Nutritional Notes: per serving: calories 188; fat 10.7g (sat 1.2g, mono 5.5g, poly 2.6g); iron 1.3mg; cholesterol 0.0mg; calcium 15.7mg; carbohydrate 20g; sodium 95mg; protein 4g; fiber 2g
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A: 35% daily value; Vitamin C: 6% dv; Calcium: 2% dv; Iron: 8% dv