Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
Makes 6 servings, about 1/2 cup each
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/4 hours
Ease of Preparation: Easy
Sweet Potato Casserole
1 ¼ pounds sweet potatoes, (2 medium)
¼ cup egg substitute
1 tablespoon honey
¼ cup fat free milk
1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup all purpose flour
¼ cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons canola oil
¼ cup chopped pecans
- Pierce the skin of the sweet potatoes and put them in a microwave on high until soft, 10 to 12 minutes (do this in increments of 3 minutes). Let them cool. Peel and cut into 1 inch chunks.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square (or similar 2-quart) baking dish with cooking spray.
- Put sweet potato chunks into a food processor and add egg substitute, oil and honey. Pulse to mix thoroughly. Add milk, orange zest and vanilla to the mixture and pulse again until well mixed. Spread the mixture (about 3 cups) in the prepared baking dish.
- To prepare topping: Mix flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and oil in a small bowl. Blend with a fork or pastry blender until crumbly. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake the casserole, uncovered, until heated through and the top is lightly browned, 35 to 45 minutes.
Tips & Tricks
Tip: Prepare through Step 4; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days
Nutritional Notes: per serving: calories 258; fat 7.6g (sat 1.5g, mono 3.5g, poly 1.8g); iron 1.5mg; cholesterol 5mg; calcium 81mg; carbohydrate 44g; sodium 88mg; protein 5g; fiber 5g.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (440% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv).