Spicy Sriracha Shrimp and Zucchini Lo Mein
Makes 4 servings, 2 cups each
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
(1) 8 oz. package lo mein noodles (or noodles of your choice)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon margarine
1/2 pound shrimp, peeled
1 medium zucchini, cut in half vertically, then cut into half moon shapes
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup egg substitute, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons lite soy sauce
2 tablespoons Sriracha hot sauce
1 teaspoon grated ginger (optional)
1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
3 green onions, sliced thinly
1. Begin a large pot of water and bring to a boil, when it reaches a full boil, add the noodles and cook according to the package directions (about 4-5 minutes).
2. While waiting for the water to boil, prepare the spicy sriracha sauce. In a small bowl stir together the brown sugar, soy sauce, sriracha, ginger, and sesame oil.
3. In a large skillet melt 1 tablespoon of margarine over medium-low heat. Add the crushed red pepper to the margarine, and once it's completely melted whisk in the eggs. Stir gently and cook for about 3 minutes. Once the egg is done cooking, keep the pan on the burner but transfer eggs to a small plate; set aside. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan and increase the heat to medium-high. Add shrimp and cook for 2 minutes on each side, or just until firm and bright pink. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a clean plate; set aside. Add zucchini to the pan (see tips), increase heat to medium-high, and add remaining oil; stir fry until just charred; about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for one minute.
4. Add drained noodles to the skillet along with the cooked egg, shrimp, and prepared sauce. Turn the heat on to medium-low, and stir until everything is coated well with the sauce. Sprinkle with sliced green onions and cilantro and serve.
Tips & Tricks
Tip: you can add other vegetables to this when you add the zucchini in Step 3. Bean sprouts, pea shoots, carrot strings, shredded napa cabbage or any variety of frozen vegetable medley
Nutritional Notes: per serving: calories 270; fat 14.6g (sat 2.6g, mono 7g, poly 2.5g); iron 1mg; cholesterol 74mg; calcium 58mg; carbohydrate 18g; sodium 735mg; protein 16.7g; fiber 1.7g
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A: 25% daily value; Vitamin C: 15% dv; Calcium: 6% dv; Iron: 6% dv