Spaghetti and Meatballs
Makes 6 servings, 4 meatballs each
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/4 hours
Ease of Preparation: Moderate
1/3 cup bulgur
1/2 cup hot water
4 ounces lean ground beef
4 ounces hot Italian chicken (or turkey) sausage
1 medium onion, very finely chopped
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten (or ½ cup of egg substitute)
3 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat (see Tip)
Sauce & Spaghetti
4 cups prepared Italian sauce (like Prego Heart Smart)
1/2 cup slivered fresh basil leaves, or chopped fresh parsley
1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti, or linguine
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, or Romano cheese (1 ounce)
1. To make the meatballs: Combine bulgur and water in a small bowl. Let stand until the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a rack with cooking spray and place it over a baking sheet lined with foil.
3. Combine ground beef, chicken sausage, onion, egg whites (or egg substitute), garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, breadcrumbs and the soaked bulgur in a large bowl; mix well. Form the mixture into 1-inch meatballs (about 24). Place the meatballs on the rack and bake for 25 minutes. Blot well with paper towel.
4. To make sauce: Put a large pot of lightly salted water on to boil. Bring sauce to a simmer in a Dutch oven. Add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Stir in basil (or parsley).
5. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti (or linguine) until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a serving bowl. Top with the sauce and meatballs and serve with grated cheese.
Tips & Tricks
Tip: Make the meatballs ahead of time and refrigerate for 2 to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Nutritional Notes: per serving: 496 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 86 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 18 g fiber; 318 mg sodium; 405 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (72% daily value), Vitamin C (35% dv), Iron (30% dv), Calcium (25% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv).