Roasting a Turkey
Buy 1 lb per person
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: varies
Ease of Preparation: Easy
1. Clean turkey of innards and any fat pat cavities dry
2. With your favorite stuffing, fill either or both cavities. It is good to put something in the cavity so if you choose not to stuff one of the cavities you can put an orange cut in ½ and an onion cut in ½ in that cavity. It helps to keep things moist and flavorful.
3. Put the turkey in a roasting pan (or a pan with a rack to make it easy to lift the turkey out later).
4. Put the top on the roasting pan or cover with heavy duty foil.
5. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes (+18 sec) per pound.
6. Roll back foil and baste, take some juice out for gravy. Be careful opening the foil the steam escaping is very hot.
7. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes to brown (basting occasionally)
8. Take the turkey out of the pan and place on a carving platter. For quality it will need to stand for 20 minutes before carving to allow juices to set. The turkey will carve more easily. You can take the stuffing(s) out and put that into a serving dish.
Nutritional Notes: per serving: varies with the type of turkey and the stuffing.