Makes 10 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Ease of Preparation: Moderate
15 oz canned pumpkin
8 inch pie crust (unbaked)
1 1/2 teaspoons unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, divided
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
1 can (12 ounces) evaporated fat-free milk
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
½ - ¾ cup egg substitute (See Tricks)
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 400°.
2. Lightly coat the inside of a nonstick skillet or saucepan with cooking spray. Add the pumpkin and cook over medium-high heat, stir, until the pumpkin is reduced to about 1 3/4 cups, about 5 to 7 minutes. (This can be roughly guess) Transfer the pumpkin to a blender or food processor and let it cool slightly.
3. Prepare a pie crust and place it in an 8 inch pie plate
4. In a small bowl, combine the flour with 1/4 teaspoon of the nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon of the cinnamon. Sprinkle the flour and spice mixture evenly over the bottom of the pie crust and set it aside. Chill prepared crust while preparing filling.
5. Gradually turn the blender or food processor to the highest speed and purée the pumpkin. For 30 seconds. Scrape down sides with a rubber spatula. With the blender or processor at medium speed, add first the milk, then the sugar and the eggs, blending only until each item is incorporated into the mixture. Add the remaining 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, the allspice, and vanilla extract and blend just until combined.
6. Pour the filling into the pie crust. Bake the pie for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven heat to 325° and bake about 45 minutes more, until the filling looks set and a thin knife inserted into the center of the pie comes out almost clean. If the rim of the pie crust browns before the filling is set, cover it loosely with strips of foil.
7. Cool the pie on a wire rack before serving.
Tips & Tricks: If you prefer a softer, more custard like texture in your pie filling, use 3/4 cup of eggsubstitute; if you like a firmer consistency, use 1/2 cup eggsubstitute.
Nutritional Notes: per serving: calories 187; fat 6g (sat 2.2g, mono 2.3g, poly 0.8g); iron 0.8mg; cholesterol 0.0mg; calcium 108mg; carbohydrate 30g; sodium 153mg; protein 4g; fiber 1g
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A: 45% daily value; Vitamin C: 4% dv; Calcium: 10% dv; Iron: 4% dv