Pineapple Sweet and Sour Chicken
This is a quick and delicious treat.
Makes 6 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Ease of preparation: Easy
2 cups minute brown rice
10 oz fresh (or canned) pineapple chunks
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium red or green bell pepper
1 medium onion, cut into chunks
½ cup sliced mushrooms
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cup sweet and sour sauce
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce (optional)
1. Prepare rice according to directions.
2. Drain pineapple, reserving 2 tablespoons of liquid
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add peppers, onions and mushrooms: cook until vegetables are tender crisp. Remove from skillet and set aside
4. Add chicken to same skillet and cook until chicken is browned and cooked through. Return vegetables to skillet, add sweet and sour sauce pineapple chunks and reserved liquid (and soy if using). Heat thoroughly.
5. Serve over hot rice or your favorite whole grain like quinoa.
Nutritional Notes: calories 430; fat 18g (sat 3 g); cholesterol 30 mg; sodium 370 mg; carbohydrates 53 g; fiber 4 g; protein 15 g;
Nutritional Bonus: Vitamin C 80%