New England Boiled Dinner
(aka: Corned Beef and Cabbage)
This is an American Classic, enjoyed especially around St. Patrick’s Day. It is a lengthy process but well worth the time. Don’t forget to save leftovers for corned beef hash.
Makes 6 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 – 4 hours
Ease of Preparation: Easy
4 lb corned beef brisket (see Tip)
4 medium onions, skins removed
6 medium potatoes, washed
6 carrots, washed
6 small turnips, washed
1 small head of cabbage, cut into 6ths
1. Rinse the corned beef under cold water (this rinses off some of the salty brine). Place in a large pot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 2 hours. (If there is a spice packet with your meat add it to the pot - if not see Tricks below)
2. Add onions and potatoes to the meat and continue to simmer for about 15 minutes then add the turnip and carrots. Bring the pot back to a simmer for about 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender to the fork.
3. Remove the meat, tent it and let it rest for about 15 minutes. With a slotted spoon remove the vegetables to a plate and keep warm. Reserve the liquid.
4. Bring the reserved liquid to a boil and add the sections of cabbage. Cook until tender to the fork and remove from the liquid.
5. On a platter slice the corned beef and surround with the vegetables.
Tips & Tricks
Tip: There are two main cuts of corned beef. You'll find it sold as a flat cut or a point cut. The flat cut is leaner, but the point cut has more flavor due to a bit of extra fat. Both will take some time to cook and tenderize.
Tip: Most of the salt and cholesterol are minimized in the boiling process.
Trick: If spice packet is not with meat use (2 cups chopped onion, 1 cup chopped celery or 1 teaspoon of celery seed, 1 cup chopped carrot, 2 teaspoons pickling spices and 3 garlic cloves, peeled or 1 ½ teaspoon of jarred minced garlic)
Nutritional Notes: per serving: calories 859; fat 45.5g (sat 14g, mono 21g, poly 1.8g); iron 8mg; cholesterol 43mg; calcium 155mg; carbohydrate 61g; sodium 560mg; protein 52g; fiber 12g
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A: 270% daily value; Vitamin C: 280% dv; Calcium: 15% dv; Iron: 45% dv