Chicken Spaghetti Bolognese
Makes 8 servings
Prep Time:15 min
Total Time:30 min
Ease of Preparation: Easy
1 pound of ground chicken or turkey
1 pound uncooked whole grain spaghetti
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
½ onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
½ celery stalk, finely chopped
1 medium sized carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 (28-ounce) can reduced sodium crushed tomatoes
½ cup white wine
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons fresh basil
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup fat free half-and-half
¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Cook the spaghetti according to package directions and drain.
2. While pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet, over a medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic, celery, carrots, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Sauté until all the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the ground chicken and brown for a few minutes. Then, turn up heat and add the wine being sure to stir and scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, basil and sugar.
4. Simmer uncovered over low heat stirring occasionally until the sauce thickens, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat. If sauce is too thick, add a little more chicken broth. Add the fat free Half & Half.
5. Serve over cooked spaghetti with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
Nutritional Notes: per serving: calories 370; fat 9g (sat 2g); cholesterol 35mg; carbohydrate 54g; sodium 550mg; protein 19g; fiber 6g
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A 40%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 8%; Iron 15%