Chicken and Leeks Braised in Wine
This has some wonderful flavors and would lend itself well to the accompaniment of a crisp salad, whole grain rice would complete the meal.
Makes 4 servings (serving size: 2 thighs, about 2 leek pieces, and 1/2 cup sauce)
Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 40 min
Ease of Preparation: Easy
8 chicken thighs, skinned (about 2 pounds)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 leeks, cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces (about 2 1/4 pounds)
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
2 cups Riesling or other slightly sweet white wine
1 teaspoon sugar
2 bay leaves
2 fresh oregano sprigs
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 (1 x 5-inch) orange rind strip
3 cups diced seeded peeled tomato
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add the chicken to pan; sauté 4 minutes on each side. Remove from pan.
2. Add leeks to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until browned, turning once. Remove from pan.
3. Add coriander and cinnamon; cook 30 seconds. Add wine and next 5 ingredients (wine through rind), and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes. Add leeks. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add chicken. Cover and cook 8 minutes.
4. Add tomato; bring to a boil. Uncover and cook 10 minutes, stirring often. Remove cinnamon stick, bay leaves, and rind.
5. Stir in chopped oregano. Sprinkle each serving with parsley.
Nutritional Notes: calories 357; fat 6.6g (sat 1.5g, mono 1.8g, poly 1.9g); protein 34.7g; carbohydrate 23g; fiber 3.5g; cholesterol 115mg; iron 4.3mg; sodium 266mg; calcium 97mg;