Caribbean Chicken Kebabs
Makes 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Marinade Time: 2-8 hours
Total Time: 40 minutes (plus marinade time)
Ease of preparation: Moderate
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/3 cup dark rum
1/4 cup chives chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1 ½ - 2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breast cut into 1 inch pieces
Left over marinade (after removing the chicken from the marinade)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 cup pineapple chunks (see tip)
1 sweet onion cut into quarters then in half to make triangles (easily put on kebab skewers)
Whole crimini mushroom and chunks of zucchini work well also (optional)
1. Combine all the marinade ingredients in a blender (except chicken pieces). Pulse the blender and mix thoroughly. Pour marinade mixture into a zip-lock bag along with the chicken pieces and marinade for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.
2. Remove the chicken from the marinade and reserve marinade.
3. Put reserved marinade in a sauce pan along with the brown sugar and Dijon mustard. Heat the marinade mixture to boiling on the stove and cook until the sauce is reduced and thickened, about 10 minutes.
4. While basting sauce is thickening, assemble kebabs using the pineapple chunks, onion pieces with the marinated chicken (and any other items you have chosen to include).
5. Heat the grill to medium. Spray the kebabs with cooking spray then place them on the grill, baste and turn often, until the chicken is firm (about 12 to 15 minutes, depending on the heat and the grill).
Tips & Tricks
Tip: you can use canned pineapple rings and split each ring into 4 pieces. You can also use fresh pineapple.
Nutritional Notes: per serving: calories 276; fat 3.9g (sat 1g, mono 1.3g, poly 0.8g); iron 1.8mg; cholesterol 84mg; calcium 50mg; carbohydrate 20g; sodium 170mg; protein 31g; fiber 1.3g
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A: 4% daily value; Vitamin C: 35% dv; Calcium: 6% dv; Iron: 10% dv