Braised Kale with Sun Dried Tomatoes
Makes 2 servings (as a side dish)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Ease of Preparation: Easy
2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
5 cloves garlic, cut in half, smashed, and peeled
2 Tbs. chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed)
7 oz. stemmed kale leaves (about 1/2 large bunch kale), washed and cut
into 1-inch ribbons
1/4 tsp. salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup fat free, low-salt chicken broth
1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1. Rehydrate sun-dried tomatoes in ¼ cup of water for 10 minutes.
2. Heat the olive oil in a 3- to 4-qt. sauce pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté, stirring, until starting to brown, 2 to 3 min. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and stir to combine.
3. Add the kale, tossing to coat it well with the oil. Season with the salt and a few grinds of pepper, and continue stirring until all the kale is wilted.
4. Add the stock, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until the kale has softened, about 8 min.
5. Uncover, turn the heat to high, and boil away the remaining liquid, stirring frequently, until the pan is almost dry.
6. Take the pan off the heat. Season with the vinegar and stir to combine. Transfer to a small serving dish or plates.
Nutritional Notes: per serving: calories 195; fat 15g (sat 2g, mono 10g, poly 2g); iron 2mg; cholesterol 0.0mg; calcium 157mg; carbohydrate 15g; sodium 450mg; protein 5g; fiber 3g