Makes 4 servings, about 3/4 cup sauce each
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Ease of Preparation: Easy
1 14-ounce can reduced sodium, beans, rinsed, divided
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/4 cup chopped celery
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup white wine
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Put a large pot of water on to boil. Mash 1/2 cup beans with a fork.
2. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and salt; cover and cook, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and bay leaf; cook, until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add wine; increase heat and boil until most of the liquid evaporates, 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes and their juices, 2 tablespoons parsley and the mashed beans. Bring to a simmer and cook, until thickened, about 6 minutes. Add the remaining whole beans; cook, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes more.
4. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
5. Divide the pasta among 4 bowls. Discard the bay leaf and top the pasta with the sauce; sprinkle with Parmesan and the remaining parsley.
Nutritional Notes: per serving: 443 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 67 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 14 g fiber; 407 mg sodium; 281 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Magnesium (24% dv), Calcium (20% dv).